Kid-Friendly Fried and Soy-Seasoned Tofu Cubes (두부강정) even picky eaters will love!
[2 Servings, 30 Minutes or Less, Easy to Make]
Fried and Soy-Seasoned Tofu Cubes (두부강정) is a delightful Korean dish that has become a favorite among children for its crispy texture and delicious flavor. This recipe transforms ordinary tofu into a scrumptious treat, making it a great way to get kids to enjoy tofu. The dish combines the crunchy exterior of the tofu with a sweet and savory sauce, creating a perfect balance of flavors. It's an excellent choice for a quick and nutritious snack or side dish, and it's so tasty that even those who aren't fond of tofu will be asking for seconds.
- Tofu, 1/2 block
- Frying Mix (or Pancake Mix), 1/2 cup
- Ketchup, 3 tablespoons
- Sugar, 1 tablespoon
- Oligosaccharide (올리고당 - can substitute with simple syrup or similar sweetener), 2 tablespoons
- Soy Sauce, 2 tablespoons
- Minced Garlic, 1 tablespoon
- Cut the tofu into bite-sized pieces, suitable for kids. Lay the pieces on a kitchen towel to remove excess moisture.
- Use a plastic bag to coat the tofu pieces evenly with the frying mix. You can shake the bag to ensure the tofu is fully covered.
- Fry the coated tofu in a pan with oil until they turn golden brown and crispy. For a crunchier texture, cook them on low heat for a longer time.
- While the tofu is frying, prepare the sauce by mixing ketchup, sugar, oligosaccharide (or simple syrup or similar sweetener), soy sauce, and minced garlic in a bowl.
- Once the tofu is crispy, remove excess oil by placing them on a kitchen towel.
- Heat the sauce in a pan until it starts to bubble, then turn off the heat to avoid burning.
- Add the fried tofu to the sauce, ensuring each piece is well coated. If you have sesame seeds, sprinkle them on top for a finishing touch.
Notes: This dish is not only delicious but also a fun way to introduce tofu to children. You can adjust the sweetness and saltiness of the sauce to cater to different taste preferences. Skewer these up to make a nice appetizer!